Thursday, October 8, 2009

On Being a "Maker"


A funny thing happened the other day...I was really, really stressed out because too many things were going on and I was being pulled in too many directions at once. I kept thinking to myself, "All I want to do is be alone with all my ingredients and create a coffee scrub...why can't I just do that?" It's my comfort zone--creating something. It's also my obsession. It often doesn't matter what I'm creating, just that I AM creating. It's the process, it keeps me going.


It also gets me in SOOOOO much trouble! I have issues saying "no" to people because in my mind what they ask will "only take me a few minutes". Hahaha, yeah right. My head knows better, but my heart always wants to help out. (So I can sleep later in the week, or maybe next week....)


I made it through that day and took care of the hundred or so things on my list, and the next day too. But the first open spot on my schedule was filled with the creation of a spectacular coffee scrub! I enjoyed every minute of it, looking like a mad scientist in her laboratory, adding a little bit of this, a little bit of that, sneaking in bites of really good chocolate to keep me going. So now I'm good for a little while.


Or so I thought...


This past weekend I bought a drop-spindle so I can make my own yarn from various types of fiber. I'm starting with alpaca and we'll see how that goes. I have to laugh at myself because I already have tons of crafty hobbies that I do not have time for...ah well, what's one more?

No comments:

Post a Comment