Friday, August 6, 2010

How to Make Your Own Fluoride-Free Toothpaste

After years of paying for toothpaste that really wasn't good for me, and then paying even more for "natural" and fluoride-free toothpastes, I decided to start making my own. (Sidenote: would someone please explain to me why an item is more expensive when you take OUT the nasty chemicals?) After researching and trying various ingredients, this is my recipe:

6 tsp Baking Soda
1/3 tsp Sea Salt
4 tsp Vegetable Glycerin OR Virgin Coconut Oil
15-20 drops Peppermint Essential Oil

Mix this up VERY well and store it in a sealed container. You can keep it in the bathroom, no need to refrigerate it. The Baking Soda and Sea Salt work to clean and whiten your teeth, the Glycerin/Coconut Oil make a nice creamy base, and the Peppermint is for flavor and fresh breath. You can also use a different EO if you prefer.

I do say mix VERY well, because the last time I made it, I didn't and got a few brushings with quite strong salt or Baking Soda. Oops--that's how we learn, right?

I do not use fluoride as I firmly believe it is not good for us. Within two months of not using it anymore, I stopped having really bad PMS, I almost never get a headache, my asthma symptoms are lessened, I'm not having low thyroid issues as much, etc. If you ever want to find out more about the nastiness of fluoride, I advise you just do an Internet search or go to your library, there's tons of information out there. Let's just say since I stopped using it, I feel tons better! (We do not have city water, I use a Reverse Osmosis filter on my well water, I do not drink bottled water, etc. You have to be careful about where your water comes from!)

In the meantime, start with your own homemade toothpaste. It's inexpensive and the above recipe will keep for months. For a family, you might want to make a double batch.

If you need Peppermint Essential Oil like for the above recipe, Heaven and Earth Essentials offers all kinds of Essential Oils. We offer other natural products too, like an SLSA-free, old-fashioned Shampoo (called "Timeless" Shampoo). Just like Grandma used to make, but scented the way you want.

Find our wonderful products at Heaven and Earth Essentials

No comments:

Post a Comment